6.19.2011

The Artist is Present.


I really REALLY wish I'd seen this exhibition by Marina Abramović last year. Abramović, a performance artist, sat at the Museum of Modern Art seven hours a day for three weeks. 'Visitors were encouraged to sit silently across from the artist for a duration of their choosing, becoming participants in the artwork'. Each participant was photographed and documented. Some sitting for hours at a time. These images can be viewed in their entirity here.

Usually I'm not too fussed with performance art, but the simplicity of this appeals. And I'm so intrigued by the photographs. There's a spin off tumblr site dedicated to these, aptly named Marina Abramović made me cry, and I kinda feel like joining in just looking at them, although damned if I know why.

UPDATE: To find out more about Marina Marina Abramović, visit her Artsy page which features over 100 of her works, exclusive articles and up to date exhibition listings.

Moma: The Artist is Present via one strange morning.
photographs by Marco Anelli

No comments: